I'm planning to visit a local apple farm this weekend and thought I'd share some tips as well as a recipe for the best apple cookie you will ever eat.
|Dragging my dad apple picking!|
In Northern California, the apple growing and harvesting season is from the end of July to the end of November. I've gone picking in November before and there is hardly anything left on the trees - so go now!
Here are a few U-Pick farms in the Bay Area. Always call ahead to make sure they are open for U-Pick:
- Gizdich Ranch, Watsonville - I love this place...you can read more about it here
- Gerry's Fruit Bowl, Brentwood
- Chileno Valley Ranch, Petaluma
- El Dorado Farm Trails - Great source for apple farms in El Dorado County
- Gabriel Farm, Sebastopol - combine apple picking and wine tasting in one day
- Impossible Acres, Davis
I always pick way too many apples than I could possibly eat in a year so plan on bringing friends to share in your bounty.
Now, on to the good stuff. Apple Spice Oatmeal Cookies. These cookies are to die for. They're somewhat labor intensive since you have to peel the apples but overall, not a difficult recipe. They'll make you want to go apple picking every year. I promise.